Football is my passion.
But even my favourite footballers don’t come close. Not even Greaves or Mackay, Ginola or Gascoigne, Bale or Kane. Well, maybe Kane …
My single favourite sportsman of all time rose above his sport. Transcended all sport. His greatness was as a human rather than just as a sportsman. He merely made his living as a boxer. And on what we call Boxing Day in UK, here are my ten favourite quotes of his; the unique, the incomparable, simply the greatest, Muhammad Ali.
- Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.
- Often it isn’t the mountains ahead that wear you out. It’s the little pebble in your shoe.
- I’m a fighter. I believe in this eye-for-an-eye business. I’m no cheek turner. I got no respect for a man who won’t hit back. You kill my dog, you better hide your cat.
- Inside of a ring or out, ain’t nothing wrong with going down. It’s staying down that’s wrong.
- Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
- Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them – a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.
- I don’t count my sit-ups; I only start counting when it starts hurting because they’re the only ones that count.
- He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
- The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
- Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you’re going to be right.